Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I don't like my new running log at all

So, it turns out I don't like it. Now, am I going to use it for the rest of the year (50 more weeks) or am I going to give up and order the kind I have been using for the past 15 years or so?

It is cumbersome, that's the main thing. I don't like having the week spread out over 4 pages. That is just ridiculous. And the "intensity factor" thing I am just using to record my shoe mileage. And I am missing the helpful charts from the Glover book, which it turns on I relied on a lot (pace and race time predictors, etc.)

Have been getting some good runs in lately, though. Have found a new way to get the long runs done on these hot days when I can't get started at 5 am. What I do is just a very short 1-3 miler outside and then I come in and do 1-3 on the treadmill. Well, what I actually do depends on the weather when I start and what happens to be on TV at the time. Like, if it's raining then I start on the treadmill, but if it just looks like it might rain any minute, then I start outside. Because it usually doesn't and then I get some miles outside before it does. And if there is something absorbing on the TV when I'm on the mill, then I might stay until it is over. Like that movie "Shaun of the Dead" that I got sucked into on Sunday afternoon. And I go back and forth, mill and outside, until I get the mileage done.

I don't have to carry water, I don't have to carry GU, I don't have to plan a route because I can just run wherever for a couple of miles (which opens up many intriguing possibilities for place I don't ordinarily run to and from that are a short distance away), I don't have to worry about bathroom breaks and where to take them, I don't have to feel guilty about leaving the dogs for long periods, I don't have to drive anywhere. It is great.

I got a 10 miler done last Monday, and another 12 this Sunday. And I didn't feel as beat up as I usually do after. That's something.

Another new thing I'm trying that I do like: GU Chomps. So far I've had the orange and the strawberry. Very satisfying. I don't know how they would be to carry on a long run, but with this new method that involves me having to walk through the kitchen every couple of miles, they work great.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner