Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Rant of the day

Had a little time so went up to the Fleet Feet store to pick up my shirt and number for Saturday's race. It is a hike from the parking lot to the race start, so it's good to get this done ahead of time. Things I will complain about:

1) They just don't give out all the freebies like they used to. Remember the year when they gave us the full-sized bottles of John Frieda shampoo and conditioner? This year it is just the shirt. Bummer.

2) The shirt as displayed in the recent emails was an olive green color that was sort of interesting. They were raving about how it was the best shirt yet. The shirt as delivered is a neon green. I don't care, but it is funny that it was so different from the picture. It is a little longer than previous editions (is that the style now?) and the sleeves are a little longer too, I think.

3) Nothing worth buying in the store. Nothing on sale, and not much merchandise overall even for browsing through. So it goes these days.

4) And this, of course, is the most irritating thing. The disgustingly skinny woman at the registration table asked me if I was a walker. And then, when I did not pick up any pins---because I do not need any more pins for my race number, thank you, I have a huge collection of them already at home and I am trying to be green---she felt the need to tell me, twice, that I should take four pins and pin all four corners of my race number.

I guess I should have asked her if the number went on the front or the back. Geez.

3 comments:

Jen Blalock said...

Oh shit! I cannot believe she said that! That woman has NO idea how thin of ice she was treading on. How do you attract these kind of people? You do not look like a walker.

Heather Harley said...

If you are over 30 you can't possibly be a runner! I shocked my neighbours when they realised I was running regularly - is it normal to take up this sport when you are pushing 60??

Muffintop said...

If you don't start running until you are 60, you will run your fastest times at 70 (assuming ten years of improvement from the time you start) and maybe get some age group records!

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner