Saturday, December 24, 2011

10 mile long run on Christmas Eve

Going to try to post more just about the everyday things. This afternoon I did a 10-miler. I missed the long runs the last two weekends so I really needed to get out there and do at least ten. Once again, my plans to run a BQ marathon are in danger of being derailed by my inability to get the long runs done. Was supposed to be 10 two weeks ago, then 11 last weekend and 12 this time. But at least I did ten.

Temp was 38 degrees when I headed out around 12:15. The weather folks have predicted a high of 42 or so today, with sunshine and a little bit of wind. I wore a pair of black tights, not too heavy, and the technical shirt from this year's S2S race. Delaware Marathon cap on my head. Light blue running gloves, not too heavy. Fanny pack with 20 oz water bottle and package of Chomps. Was going to add a jacket but it was not that cold.

It was okay as long as the wind wasn't blowing and I was in the sun.

I ran the route that I call "Three Loops." This is kind of a lop-sided cloverleaf, with each loop a little shorter than the previous run. You are never more than 2.5 miles from home, if you decide to bail out or cut it short. It has plenty of hills but none of them are exceptionally steep. You get to stop at Graeters to refill your water bottle after 6 miles or so. The bad part about this route is that you mostly have to run on the sidewalk. The other bad part, as some would see it, is that you are retracing your steps a bunch. I am running on opposite sides of the street, though, so to me that is variety enough.

Lots of folks out walking this afternoon. Maybe they are visiting family for the holidays and just needed to get out of the house. Not too much traffic. A few other runners, though not as much as some weekends.

Big thing I learned today was that Chomps get kind of hard in 40 degree-weather. Guess I have never used them on a cool day. After the first time, I tried putting the packet inside my glove for a mile or so before I ate them to see if I could soften them up with my body heat. It helped a little but not that much. I guess I am going to have to stick with GU for the colder weather runs.

It was great, though, to be able to get outside and not have to be stuck on the treadmill like last winter.

Gotta figure out how I am going to get the long run done next week. Might have to do it Thursday.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner