Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Mill Race Marathon

This is about the second race in my personal four race series. The Mill Race Marathon was a new race in Columbus, Indiana.

Columbus is just a little south of Indianapolis, and it's just a little under two hours drive from Cincinnati. At first I thought I was jut going to drive up and back on race day, but at some point I realized that maybe I should spend the night before at a nearby hotel. And then I figured out that I had enough points to get a nice room at the LaQuinta that is just a couple miles from the start for just $15. Was quite nice, newly remodeled facility, I had a fridge and microwave.

Drove up the afternoon before and hit the expo. Downtown Columbus is quaint little small town, mostly, with some cute shops and restaurants but also a little bit of authentic run-downness, like it is not quite all the way back yet, and then there is also the Cummins engine world headquarters, which is all big and modern.

The expo was in a sort of convention center place that seemed to also have some tie to Cummins, maybe it was more like their corporate meeting space? Anyway, it was small but there were places to buy whatever you might have forgotten. The running vendors had some nice merchandise but no great deals so I wasn't tempted. I did buy a hat from the Cummins shop.

Am wishing I had easier way to incorporate photos into this blog. Would share photos of hat and the race shirt and the medal.

Not much in the packet as I recall but the shirt is longsleeved technical in red (which seems to be the color of this year for race shirts). There was also a 5k and a half-marathon and they had similar shirts but in different colors. Also, the race medals were all similar, I think, but the neck ribbons were different colors. The medal is a combination of a rather basic design with a an image of the Cummins engine stuck on the bottom of it.


Crossing the finish line a day early :-)

Left the expo and walked back to my car. Passed by the "fancy" Italian restaurant and decided to make a reservation for 6 pm. Was gonna go to the microbrewery that was across the street from the expo but it looked a little seedy, so decided to go with upscale Italian. headed over to hotel to check in, then back to restaurant.

Dinner was not bad. I had lasagna and a roasted red pepper soup, and tiramisu for dessert. They didn't have good beer, so I had a glass of red wine. It was all pleasant enough.

Next morning, left hotel around 6:45 to arrive at start by 7, which is what they had recommended at the expo. They let the marathoners park in the Cummins corporate garage, which was right next to the finish line and a couple blocks from the start. Very nice. Can't remember the last time I've parked that close to a marathon finish line.

Garage filled up pretty quick behind me.

Temp at start was a little cool, and I wondered why I never remember to bring more throwaway clothes.  I did have a throwaway long sleeve cotton shirt.

They did not have pace teams in this race but they had people holding pace signs at the start. Did not do much good, though, because these people were apparently not runners and did not know that 7 minute pace is faster than 10 minute pace, etc. They did not take their positions until just before the gun when off, and they took the wrong positions.

Chatted with a local gal who was running her first marathon, and who sounded like she had about the same slow pace goal that I had, which is to say, just to finish.

Wore my regular Soleus chonograph for this one, since we've learned not to rely on the Nike GPS.

The first half or so of the course is very nice. You start out running around The Mill Race park pond (found out that "Mill Race" actually has a meaning that has nothing to do with running), and then there are some pretty areas to run through. But, it was a sunny day and there were some long stretches where we were running right into the sun, which is never good. Encouraged by my results from the previous week, I went out a little too fast. Need to remember to keep it very easy in the first half. Regardless of my splits, if I feel like I'm pushing, then I probably am.

Second half of the race (and especially after the half-marathoners left us around mile 8) were somewhat boring and painful. It's flat, sure, but there is not a lot of shade and there was a bit too much running on concrete for my taste. We ran through a couple of neighborhoods where people were sitting out to cheer for us sort of half-heartedly, and I felt like the aid stations were just a little too far apart on this hot day. So my performance really dropped off in the second half.

I have splits! Because I wore the Soleus! So here's the first half:
1) 10:47
2)11:05
3) 10:56
4) 11:26
5) 10:57
6)11:07
7) 11:26
8) 11:21
9) 11:57
10) 11:07
11) 11:19
12) 11:57
13) 11:59

And right about there is where the wheels came off.

Did have nice chat in first half with another Maniac about Grand Rapids. She said it was her favorite race, talked about how cool the RD is, said she does it every year.

Now, by contrast, here is the second half:
14 & 15) 24:18
16) 12:32
17) 12:43
18) 12:22
19) 13:07
20) 12:44
21) 13:20
22) 14:35
23) 14:14
24) 13:29
25) 14:35
26) 14:45
26.2) 3:02

Bright spots in second half: met a woman from Mason, OH who was also struggling around mile 22. We encountered one guy in the neighborhoods who was serving up ice cold cups of blue Gatorade (with ice). I almost hugged him. This unofficial aid station was the best one of the race.

Somewhere in the second half, I think? I try to look good for my pic.

Then ran into fellow Maniac who first mistook me for someone else, then insisted on running a few steps with me. Local guy. We ran through the airport and he said it was surprised because this was his first marathon running through an airport and I said that I was surprised they had an airport. We were actually right out on the tarmac and little planes were taxiing around. No shade out there, obviously!

A mile or so before the finish I caught up to the woman I had met at the start. She was struggling but in good spirits. She had to make a lot of pit stops. Anyway, she pulled ahead again and finished just before me.

Still smiling!

At the finish line, got my medal but no need for a space blanket. Was surprised that all they had to eat was bananas. Headed to car and grabbed bag and cash and then back to the finish area, because there was a big party going on with food. Oh yeah, and the big gimmick of the race, they were raffling off a big Dodge RAM truck with a Cummins diesel engine that was worth $50k. Everybody who ran the race was entered but you had to be present to win.

The good thing about taking so long to finish the race was it meant less time waiting around to see if I had won the truck.

I bought a pork barbeque sandwich from a stand operated by the people who ran the microbrewery I had not eaten dinner at. Wasn't great so I think I made the right call on dinner. I had hoped they would be serving brew, but instead you had to go with the mass market beer under the tents. I had a Michelob Ultra, which I figure I need for some UnTappd badge maybe. Did not drink a whole lot of it.
Not my choice of beverages


Still had some time to kill so went into old timey ice cream parlor. Lots of people had the same idea. Good thing was I could use their bathroom to change clothes. Had a hot fudge sundae with mint chip ice cream (what else would I have?) and then it was just about time for the drawing so I headed back outside.

I earned this.

It was a festive atmosphere. They had a local band playing. Then they had a bunch of speeches thanking us for coming and talking about Cummins and bragging about how proud they were of the engine on this truck and blah, blah, blah. Finally they drew the name and it was won by a young woman who had run the half. Glad it wasn't somebody who did the 5k! I think they should have limited it to the marathoners and you should have to have finished, not just entered. But at least she ran the half.

Crowd hanging out after the race.

We are all hoping to win the truck!

And then it was time to go home.

My official time was 5:23:12, quite a bit slower than the week before. I was 15 of 21 in the age group and 137 of 257 women. Not sure about overall. These race results websites leave a lot to be desired.

For a first time race, it wasn't terrible. Not my favorite and I'm not planning to return but I've run worse.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner