Monday, April 02, 2012

The Last Few Days

Going to try to write a little more just about the everyday stuff.

Have recovered quickly from the marathon. Was a little sore last Monday, too busy Tuesday, but able to get out for a little three miler Wednesday. Busy on Thursday, but ran again Friday and Saturday, and then did a six miler on Sunday, which went pretty well.

Today, I did another three miler, along the route where I run down Erie Ave., take a little detour around the Broadview neighborhood, and then back up Erie and finish with a little loop of my neighborhood. Its probably closer to three and a half miles. It was a beautiful day, sunny and in the low 60s. I ran into one of my neighbors, Peggy, and her dog, Quinn. He is a very handsome Golden Retriever. I never get to say hi to Quinn usually when I see them because I have the dogs with me, so today I took the opportunity to give him some pats and kisses. Peggy's former dog, Ceres, was a great friend of our girl, Libby. We chatted a little about how much we miss them. We love our current dogs but there is no replacing Ceres and Libby.

After my disappointing performance last weekend, it is time to regroup and come up with a new plan. So, the plan is that I will try again to qualify for Boston at the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon in the fall. I picked that one because I know it is a good race and a nice flat course, and not too far away. Also, all the race hotels for Columbus are already booked, but I could still get a room within a quarter mile of the start/finish in Indianapolis. And, it is a month after Susan's wedding, whereas Columbus is just a week or two after. So Indy is probably better.

I won't start training until early July, so in the meantime my goal is to do some 10k training program, and apply it to trying to better my time at the Hyde Park Blast, which is a four mile race but that shouldn't matter so much.

I'm going to run a 10k this weekend, the Run for the American Dream, which should give me a baseline for my training paces going forward.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner