Friday, October 19, 2012

Another Failed Long Run

Today I was supposed to do the last really long run, 18-22 miles. I had a hard time decided where or how to do it. The weather was overcast and about 52 degrees. Weather.com said it wasn't going to start raining until 4 pm or so. 52 and overcast ought to be great weather for a long run. But I prefer a little sunshine. Still, it didn't seem bad enough to do it on the treadmill.

In addition to the treadmill, I considered Lunken, my "3 loops" course x 2 (gives me over 20), 3 Loops plus Mariemont (around 18.5) and an oldie I haven't attempted in years and years, "2 Parks" plus Delta.

After a dog walk---the Observatory route in reverse to avoid cats---I suited up for Lunken. I wore my CW-X capris and a longsleeved top from the Reindeer Romp. At the last minute I threw on my thin red jacket. I was thinking it might be cozy to put on after I was finished for the drive home. Hahahahaha. I wore my fanny pack and carried Chomps.

Got down to Lunken around noon. It was considerably more desolate down there than usual. I guess the weather was keeping people home? Or maybe it is always like that on Friday? I wouldn't know because I've been going there on Mondays and Wednesdays lately.

I had forgotten how much colder and windier it gets down there. I needed that jacket after all. I wore it most of the way. I took it off and tied it around my waist for awhile during the first lap but I ended up putting it back on again for the second, remembering how much the cold contributed to my last failed long run a couple of weeks ago.

Oh, yeah, and I've gone back to the Pegagsis 28s for the long run, because I think the 29s are too snug or something.

Started out okay, except I really wasn't liking the wind. No knee pain this time and hips did not feel as tight as they have lately. I did my first lap around the airport in the counterclockwise direction, as usual. I ran back to the car in the first quarter mile because I was worried I had forgotten to lock the door, and then at the end I did the out-and-back around the playfield to push it over 6 miles. Here are the splits for the first lap:
1) 10:11
2) 10:21
3) 10:01
4) 10:01
5) 10:07
6) 10:09

Not bad, right? So after stopping to refill my water bottle at the car, I headed back out to do the 9 mile lap that includes the Armleder trail. The wind was kicking up and it was drizzling off and on. There were some big dark clouds overhead. I wondered if I would get this thing done before the rain started.

At least the Armleder trail is prettier, so there's that. And there were a few more people out on it, so it was a little less depressing. But, as I finished up the 2-mile loop around the park and prepared to head back on the connector, the wind really started whipping up and it was raining a little more. Still, as I ran up the hill to Lunken, I was thinking that maybe I would at least get around and finish the 9 mile loop, which would give me 15 or so.

But when I got up to the top of the hill, I just really couldn't face the idea of the back half of Lunken if it kept raining. So I just ran the mile back to the car. I just really wanted to get home and get out of the wind and into dry clothes. It didn't seem worth risking getting a chill just so I could get the miles done. Maybe I am just a wimp. But I swear if the weather is like this two weeks from now I am cancelling the trip to Indianapolis. No point in going if I'm not going to BQ.

Here are the splits from the last six miles:
7) 10:47
8) 10:23
9) 10:20
10) 10:55
11) 11:12
12) 11:04

In the end, it was 12.25 miles in 2:08:31 or 10:29 pace.

It sucks that I couldn't get this done. So I have one skipped long run, two failed/shortened long runs, and one sub-par race. Doesn't bode well for the marathon. I need a good couple of workouts to restore my self-belief. There's not much left, though. There's an interval workout scheduled for Monday, and a fast-finish 10 miler on Wednesday. And that's it.

I think I am going to try to do 8-10 tomorrow, on the treadmill if I have to. Then I can at least say I did 20 over 2 days.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner