Thursday, October 25, 2012

Just gonna run

I've officially given up on the schedule. Not that there is much more of it to follow. Yesterday was the last change to get a decent long workout in and I blew it again. Was supposed to do 10-12 with the last 4-6 at marathon pace. Should have gone back to Lunken. Instead, struggled through six in the neighborhood and quit. It was a hot afternoon and I was tired from lack of sleep and dog training class.

Today I just went for a run around the Park-Kilgour route, 4.23 miles in about 45 minutes. It was later in the afternoon and a little cooler and I actually enjoyed myself.

I had been thinking the last few days a bit that it might be a waste of time to go to Indy. And then yesterday I started thinking that what the heck, I might as well go and just run and forget about trying to BQ. Just at least  run the race I have been training for, enjoy the expo and the pasta dinner and the speakers and the day.

And then, this evening, I realized something else. I only have to run 9:30s to qualify for Boston. I can do that, can't I? I ran sub 9s for a half on a hillier course a month ago. I just have to start out slow. I have to run that first mile in 10 minute pace, then do the gradual cutdown to a 9:30 by mile 4. Keep 'em all under 9:30 and throw a couple faster ones in where I can. And I'll have it.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner