Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Consistency is key

Haven't been bogging consistently, but my running has been going quite well. I've gotten my average miles per week up above 24, which is better than it's been in recent years. I've been getting the weekly 10 - 12 mile long runs in. And today, I actually did a little speed session on the treadmill, 4 x 1/2 mile at 8:00 pace. I know that's not so fast but it's fast for me. That's the Yasso 800 pace I would need to predict a sub-4:00 marathon. I'm gonna try to get up to 10 x 1/2 mile at that pace, even though I really don't see it likely that any of my upcoming marathons are going to be that fast for me.

I'm registered for two marathons in April, to use as training runs for my May goal race, and also to achieve another little goal---becoming eligible for the Marathon Maniac club. I can get in the club by running two races, two weeks apart. The first will the Glass City Marathon in Toledo, OH on April 13, and the second will be the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon on April 27. I already have my hotel reservations, and a frequent flyer ticket to OKC, so I am good to go!

The one area where my training is not going so well is on the trail running. I got some new trail running shoes---just another pair of Adrenaline trail shoes---but I'm just having a tough time getting out there. It is so much more time consuming than road running, and the weather has been crappy most of the time. I also wish I had a slightly more interesting route than my little 2 mile loop. 2 x 2 miles I can get my head around, but more than that is tough to get up for, especially when you know it is going to take about 24 minutes for each loop.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner