Monday, April 27, 2009

Back at it

The cold cost me a week of training. Well, to be honest, the cold plus dog shows cost me a week of training.

Got a little in last week, still felt a bit weak.

Then, travelled to NJ to visit my sister and run the MORE half-marathon in Central Park on Sunday. Yeah, I should have been doing a 20-miler. What else is new. I figured the race would be enough. Could have done the full as a long run, but had heard enough bad things about the event to make me shy away from that. Two laps of Central Park would have to be enough.

Well, it turned out to be unseasonably hot, so they cancelled the race at the last minute. What they did was, they totally cancelled the full marathon (so glad I wasn't signed up for that!) and told us that we could all run the half-marathon as a "fun run," and we should turn in our chips because they wouldn't be timing us. Oh, and they were now only going to keep the course open for 3 hours instead of 6 1/2, so if you were a walker who would take more than 3 hours (or if you could not make it to mile 7 in 1:45) you should only do one lap.

I decided right then that one lap would be enough for me too. So we decided I would run my one lap, then maybe run back to Cathy and walk in with her. She was definitely only doing one lap. I had previously set a goal pace of 9:00 so I would theoretically break 2 hours. Don't know how I thought that was going to happen after I couldn't even run sub-9:00s for the 15k a month ago. And then after I got sick and was so under-trained anyway, I just thought I'd go out there and see what would happen. Still thinking I might pleasantly surprise myself.

Not. Anyway, it was immediately evident that the race organizers had no choice about the cancelling of the race. It was pretty damn hot. I started with Cathy back in the 10:00 corral. It took us over 6 minutes to get to the start, mostly walking. I was passing people the entire way but I wasn't exactly tearing it up. First two miles were both 10:27s. I took water and Gatorade at the water stops, and walked through those. They had water stops every mile and they were well-staffed and well-stocked, but I wonder what it was like the second time around (and what it would have been like for lap 3 and 4 if you were doing the marathon).

In miles 3 and 4, I picked it up a bit with a 9:31 and a 9:29. I guess those must be the downhills? Then I remember we were going uphill and there was no shade and I started thinking maybe I was risking heat stroke, and I couldn't wait for it to be over. I was really sucking down the Gatorade at the fluid stations.

Mile 5 was 10:17, mile 6 was 10:24, and I was wondering why they didn't just make it a 10k. I was still passing people, though. Coming up on mile 7, I started looking for a place to drop out. Looked like everybody else was going around for a second loop. I was just about the only one quitting. But I just couldn't see any point to continuing. By dropping out, I would enable us to get home sooner and get lunch! It wasn't a race anymore anyway. Plus, I was cooked.

So finally, I cut over to the grass, and started walking toward the finish area, just in time to see Magdalena Lewy Boulet win with a time of 1:18 or so. She was the unofficial winner because it wasn't a race anymore. That's right, she almost lapped me! I ran 7 miles in 1:10:33, she ran 13.1 in 1:18.

I headed down to the food tables and I was probably the first person there, because most people were still going around for their second lap, and the fast women don't eat. I had a delicious chocolate chocolate chip bagel, a banana, and more Gatorade.

Tried to call Cathy but she wasn't answering. Walked back to look for her, but eventually got bored with that and was too tired to walk or jog towards where she might be, so I headed for a bench near 64th street where we had parked the car, and hung out there until Cathy showed up. She said she did her loop in around 1:45, with a sub-15:00 pace, so she was pretty happy. Honestly she was in a lot better shape than I was. She kept talking about how nice the downhills were. All I remember were the uphills!

Today I made it out for a little 3.1 mile jog on the route I call "Shady Lane." It was slow. It's still really hot, and this was mid-day after walking the dogs. Have put Powerstep insoles in my shoes, which seems to help but now I am wondering if I need to go up a half-size in the shoes, back to a 7. With the heat and the Powersteps, it's getting pretty snug in there.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner