Sunday, December 16, 2012

Two Holiday 5ks

Ran a holiday 5k race two weekends in a row. Last Saturday it was the Jingle Bell run (for arthritis) and yesterday, the Egg Nog Jog

Jingle Bell Gets Me Jangled Until the Gun Goes Off

Just like last year, I had to choose between the Reindeer Romp and Jingle Bell last weekend. I would have preferred to run the more scenic, low-key, Reindeer Romp, which is also cheaper, offers a 10k as well as a 5k, and includes a pancake breakfast and a long-sleeved, technical top. But with Tommy out of town last weekend, Jingle Bell worked out better for me time-wise. It starts later in the morning (10 am) and is closer to home, so overall I wouldn't be away as long, which is better for the dogs. 

Or maybe it was just better for me. Yeah, they could have handled it if I ran the 10k Reindeer Romp, but I would have had to get up way early to get them fed before heading off to that race. For Jingle Bell, I could almost sleep in, and the dogs had plenty of time to eat and take care of business before I left for the race.

The Jingle Bell race starts and finishes at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center in Covington. It's not the most interesting course in the world, but it is fast. I set my 5k PR on this course at a summertime race years ago. You run down the road from the Convention Center, turn right on Fourth St., then turn right and cross over the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge to Cincinnati. Then you make a little loop of Second and Third Streets before heading back across the bridge. So it's not real hilly----there's just the gentle incline of the bridge and a couple of short hills going between Second and Third.

It was pouring down rain when I got up, and I had to push myself to get out the door. I kept telling myself that it was just a 5k, and surely since I had just recently run a marathon in freezing rain I should be able to easily handle a 5k in relatively warm rain. And maybe there wouldn't be as much competition and I would get an age group placement.

I left the house a little after 9 am, and made one stop by the post office before getting on the highway. So it was probably at least 9:10 before I even got out of Hyde Park.

The highway was fine---the rain had let up. I still have nightmares about the year I tried to drive to this race in a blizzard and ended up just circling back home because the highway was so slippery.

But when I got off in Covington, the traffic was at a near standstill. It's just a few blocks from the off ramp to the street the Convention Center is on, but it was hardly moving at all. So although I was in good shape when I exited the highway, I was not in good shape by the time I arrived at the parking garage across from the Convention Center where I always park. Which was full, as was the lot next door. Great.

I turned around the block, and fortunately there was plenty of parking in the garage under the Embassy Suites hotel diagonally across from the Convention Center. Go figure. I thought it would be more expensive than the other lot but it wasn't. Hmmm, make a mental note to come in from the other side and go right to that lot if I do this race next year.

But, I didn't have much time until the race was to start. I rushed over to the Convention Center, picked up my shirt and bib, and rushed back to the car. No time for a proper warmup, so my warmup was going to just consist of running in and out of the parking garage.

Now it was time to head to the start. It was overcast but at least the rain had stopped. Mostly. Maybe a slight drizzle. While I waited for the race to start, I tried jogging in place and doing some high knee lifts so I would at least have my heart rate up a little and my muscles a little bit warm before the start.

I had a pretty modest time goal, based on my time at the recent Ashenfelter 8k. My time at that race predicted a 26:30 for 5k. I knew that I had not run hard at the 8k, but I decided that a 26:30 would be my goal. I'm reluctant to have an ambitious goal after that last marathon.

It took me about 18 seconds to cross the start line once the gun went off. It seemed like I had lined myself up in the right place, because except for having to elbow aside a couple of people in the very beginning (why do those walkers always get in the wrong place?!!!!!) I was not having to break stride much to get into my pace.

I felt good, and even passed a few people running over the bridge, which often happens when I am on the downhill side but seldom on the uphill. Hit the first mile in 8:16 on my watch.

Still felt good in the second mile. Kept reminding myself to focus. Time for the second mile was 8:08. It appeared that I was going to easily surpass my goal.

Focus, focus, focus. Glide, glide, glide. On the last downhill, I found myself spitting. Spitting while running is a very new thing for me. I just started doing it after those two women spit on me at the Dayton Half. It's a revelation. You really do feel a little better after you toss out a spit wad. Who knew?

Came around the bend with an 8:10 for the third mile. Did not kick too hard because I decided I did not want to puke for what I consider a less than stellar time---although it was quite good for me at this stage. Ran the last .1 in about 43 seconds, which is not bad.

After the race, I wandered into the Convention Center to see what they had to eat. It was a rather paltry offering---just some cut up Panera bagels and cups of water. I was not in the mood for a bagel so I just grabbed a water and headed to the car. Decided I would go back over, change into dry clothes, and hang out awhile to see if maybe I had managed to place. They were going three deep in the age groups, and my time was faster than the third place woman from last year.

In the back of the room, they now had a computer set up displaying the times and placements, just for the awards. After a couple of minutes, I could see that I did not make the top three, so I left.

Back home, I learned that I had finished 4th of 47 woman in my age group, which is not that bad. My official time was 25:17. Third place beat me by about 20 seconds. I recognized the name of the woman who beat me, but I do not know what she looks like. I'm wondering if I could figure out who she is if I could find a way to beat her, the way I have managed to outrun other ladies over the years. I would start just behind her, try to maintain that position, then kick past her at the end. Maybe I will try that if I can ever figure out who she is. I did learn, from the results, that Cyndi K. was there (thought I had seen her from behind when I was exiting the Convention Center to go home) and I beat her by about a minute.

Overall, I was glad I ran. 4 of 47 is not too shabby.

Egg Nog Jog is Not a Jog for Me

This is the one that takes place in Mt. Adams. This was the third time that I had run it. The worst part about this race is trying to find a parking space in Mt. Adams. I was stressing about it but in the end it was pretty easy. There were plenty of spaces left on Monastery Street right around the corner from the finish line when I  arrived about 9:20.

I last ran this one in 2009, which was a year with snow and ice. The weather yesterday was great. At race time, it was in the mid to upper 40s, overcast but dry and not much wind. Can't really expect much better in mid-December.

I had picked up my packet at The Running Spot on Friday so I didn't need to worry about that. It was a little early, but I headed out for my one mile warmup jog anyway. It's important to get those quads and hammies really warm before you tackle the hills of Mt. Adams.

This race has a very hilly course. But based on the results from last weekend, I was expecting something faster than that 26:30 goal I had set for myself last week. I knew I probably would not be as fast as last weekend, but could manage something in between, maybe.

I finished my jog and went inside Longworth's, the pub where they were hosting the pre-and post-race gathering. I thought it would be nice to visit the bathroom, but Longworth's was jam packed and I gave up on that.

I went outside to wait for the race to start. I pettted a little dog that was a rescue from Puerto Rico. The owner told me this was the dog's first race. I kind of wished I had brought Ed along, but he hasn't been running with me this year and it didn't seem right to just push him to do a fast 5k without a proper buildup.

At the start line, I chatted with a woman who noticed my Chickamauga race shirt. She had run it in 2007. I saw Cyndi K. a few rows in front of me. She turned around and looked in my direction but I wasn't sure if she saw me. I thought about saying hello but she had already turned the other way. I hadn't been thinking about "racing" but now I knew I was going to have to beat Cyndi K.

And then we were off, and just like last weekend, I was feeling pretty good. The first mile has some downhill and some flat, not too much uphill. I caught up to Cyndi K. and flew right past her before the first quarter mile. Hopefully she would stay passed. I hit the first mile marker in 8:01. Good.

The second mile has more downhill. I still felt good. There's a weird little piece where you run out along a brick path and then back across the grass. It's probably a total of a tenth of a mile or less. It does enable you to see who is just ahead of you and who is just behind. Cyndi K. was behind but not as far as I would have liked. I ran a 7:49 for the second mile, which my GPS said was a little short.

And then there was the last mile. This one naturally featured more uphill because we had to get back where we started from somehow. There are a couple of spots where you run up short, steep concrete ramps from parking areas near the art museum. I remembered these being iced over back in 2009. At least we didn't have to deal with that this year. The second ramp was so steep that I almost had to stop and walk near the top of it, though.

Mile 3 was an 8:51, but maybe that one was a little long since the one before was short. Or maybe it was just the hilliness of it. The last few tenths of a mile were on flatter road. I saw one woman who was fading, and I buckled down and kicked past her, with 43 seconds for the last .1. Just like last week, I did not go fast enough to make myself sick. That's always nice!

I waited for a volunteer to cut my chip off my shoe, then grabbed a cup of water. There was no food set out---presumably it was all back at Longworth's, which was a little bit of a walk from the finish. My car was closer. I headed there and debated going back to the bar for refreshments and the awards. There were supposedly door prizes, but they were only going 1 deep in the age groups. I figured I was likely in the top three but doubted I had won. Did I really want to go hang out with a bunch of strangers in my wet clothes for an hour to find out? Or did I want to do it even if I bothered to change clothes?

It seemed easier to just eat the Picky Bar I had brought along and drive home.

Later in the afternoon, however, I learned that I had in fact won the age group. There was one woman faster than me, but she got the first Grand Master, which left me in first place. Bummer. Or, actually, I am glad I won, but it would be a bummer to find out that the award was something nice like a coffee mug or a plaque. Most likely it was just some cheesy medal that I don't really need another one of anyway. And it's better to go home and find out you won than to hang around and find out you didn't!

The first Grand Master beat me by about 30 seconds. I did beat Cyndi K. again by about 40 seconds, and there were even a few women in between us. And, more significantly, I beat another woman whose name I recognize but whom I have never beaten before---she's another one who I don't recognize except for her name. So that was cool.

Was 2 of 21 (or 1 of 20 for the awards), 22 of 246 women, and 114 of 468 runners. Final time was 25:24, or 7 seconds slower than last week, which is not bad on this hilly course---although, according to my GPS it may have been about .06 short, which could be as much as 30 seconds different, I guess. Anyway, pretty good result for me and again, glad I ran it.

Now I am about to go into race withdrawal because I don't know when I'll have a chance to run a fast local race again. It could be months. Yes, I have that marathon coming up in Mississippi but it's not the same thing as running a hard 5k.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Monica, I never comment but I love love love reading your race reports. (Also about the puppies but that's on FB). Congrats on your win! I am going to start commenting to make sure you keep this up.

Grace russell

Unknown said...

I can't see if my comment went through since I posted and then it took me through a google-hoop.

Good job and keep it up, love the reports, in case I didn't post earlier.

Grace

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner