Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Week 10 , Day 3

I can't believe I actually got the 18-miler done, mostly because I was so not mentally into it.

Physically, I had no real excuse, since I don't have anything major going on right now, and we had great weather for a long run today. The high is probably in the mid-60s. It's sunny but not too hot. It was in the mid-50s when I started my run.

After a 45-minute dog walk around the neighborhood---trying to avoid loose dogs, which is becoming more and more of a problem lately, I decided to pack up and head out to Lunken. (OMG, I just watched that video and I swear I saw my van in the parking lot. I should watch it again and see if I can find myself on the trail.)

I wore capri tights since it was a little cooler today than I've gotten used to. Set the GPS watch to display lap times, I didn't really believe I was going to do 18. The schedule said 16-18. Especially after I got started, I was thinking I would be lucky to get 16 done.

I wore my fanny pack with a bottle of ice water and carried some Chomps and a GU packet.

The trail is 5 miles around, but it's a little more if you add in the distance to and from the car (where I would go at the end of each loop), and then I was going to do a little bit more to make sure I got at least 16.

I like to park in the lot on Wilmer Ave. and run the first loop counterclockwise. I switch direction for each loop.

With this new watch, I have mile/lap times:
1) 10:04 ---takes me up to the Sky Galley/terminal area, where we verify that there is indeed no mile marker visible (an issue during the Yassos last week)

2) 10:25---getting on the back side of the trail

3) 10:04 --- had some Chomps

4) 10:18 --- took the walking break down the steep hill

5) 10:16 ---took the walking break as I was approaching the van, refilled water bottle at van, wiped my face, put on fresh chapstick

6) 10:15---running the trail clockwise, walk break up the steep hill, had some Chomps

7) 10:30---bummed that I am slowing down

8) 10:17---started feeling depressed and suicidal, wondering how I am going to make myself get out there for a third lap

9) 10:29---back near the terminal again, had some Chomps

10) 10:43---back to the van, refilled the water bottle, wiped my face, reapplied sunscreen

11) 10:41---this third loop is going to be a lot slower, but now I am committed, heading back up Wilmer Ave. and passing the terminal. I'm seriously considering taking walking breaks every half-mile the way I do when I run on the treadmill, but then I will be out here even longer. I'm also thinking that maybe I do need to get a carrier for my iPhone and decent earbuds, because this is so damn boring, and it would be nice to listen to a podcast or some music. However, there is a lot of bicycle traffic and I would be a little nervous about not hearing them coming up behind me, since there were a few times even on this run where I almost got run over.

12) 10:58---creeping along, no longer suicidal but wondering how I am ever gonna qualify for Boston in Indy. Thinking that maybe I really need to start getting more sleep. Go to bed at night by 10. Maybe the reason this is hard is because I am so tired. Have the last of the Chomps.

13) 11:08---maybe I will do 17. Four more miles to go!

14) 11:04---decide to extend the run by doing a mile or so out and back along the Otto Armleder trail, a new loop that connects to Lunken. Never been on this trail before. Actually, I guess it is a one mile trail connector that goes to a two-mile loop. So I guess my out and back was on the connector piece. This could make a nice four mile extension to a Lunken loop, to push it up to nine mile around, but I like the five mile distance for carrying water. Anyway, I hit the connector around 14.4 miles, and I ran on it until the GPS said 15.5 miles, then turned around and headed back. It's very pretty. Lots of yellow wildflowers. A nice change of scenery from Lunken, which is kind of monotonous and ugly in places.

15) 11:15 --- on the connector, have the GU packet. Chocolate Mint, yum.

16) 11:32 ---still on the connector

17) 11:35---walked down the steep hill at 16.5. Think about skipping this walk break and just running to the car which would be around 17.5 miles. Then think, heck, why not go for the 18 so I can at least know that I did it. So I do take that last walk break. Pass the car at 17.5, so then just keep going a quarter mile towards the golf course entrance, then turn around and head back towards the van.

18) 11:13 Done!

Final time was 3:12:59, which amazingly is an average pace of 10:43, which even more amazingly is within the target range for long run pace. Really. The slow end of the range is 10:50. Now, we can see that only my first 11 miles were within the pace range. The last 7 miles were outside the range. Not sure if that matters. Well, maybe it does. But, things could be worse. This is the same pace that I averaged for 12.55 miles back on Aug.1.

Back home, I had my chocolate milk and a huge bowl of leftover spaghetti and meatballs. Am feeling pretty tired, stiff and sore right now. But do have a little of that good post-long run feeling. Knee felt okay and I didn't even ice it. I had a little funny feeling in my right foot in the second half of the run but I think it is okay. I am happy to be able to cross this one off my list!

Do I have to do one of these again next week? I hope not. I really do not enjoy the long runs.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner