Friday, September 07, 2012

Week 8, Day 4

Time for the long run! I wasn't sure I could get it done. Debated waiting until tomorrow, maybe stop somewhere like Lunken or Loveland Bike Trail after setting up for the show this weekend.

Wanted to run outside, but it was another humid day. Just wasn't going to happen unless I could've gone out before the dog walk. Still harbored the hope that I might be able to get out there. It was overcast and not too hot, but still quite humid. And then it appeared that the sun was going to come out. And I remembered that I was going to be out there for like three hours. And it was already after 11 am.

Had walked the dogs around the Observatory route just before. Was able to take all three at once because of it not being sunny yet. Did not see any lizards, but had to cross the street a few times to avoid other dogs. Seemed like there were more dogs out being walked than usual. One woman asked me if they were all my dogs, and if they were "long-haired" ---- that is right up there with the oddest questions ever. Can't you see with your own eyes the length of the hair. I don't consider it long so I said "medium long." She also complimented how well-behaved they were. Hah!

(Did not get this finished yesterday so continuing today.)

So yeah, it was late when I got going. Eddy, Zen & Maggie joined me in the basement and Eddy gave me a little trouble about it but not too bad:


I did a slow warmup to 3.5  mph, then up to 5.8 mph (10:20 pace), continuing at that pace for the rest of the run, with my 1 minute water/walking breaks at 3.5 every half-mile. I got off the mill at 3, 6, 9 and 12 miles to have some Chomps and grab a fresh bottle of water.

I got pretty sweaty and debated changing shoes and clothes part way but I toughed it out.

Once I hit 16 I did the treadmill cool down for 5 minutes. Final time was 3:08 for 16.3 miles. Slow but at least I got the miles done. Biomechanically, felt fine, and that is also a good thing. Iced the knee after, just as a precaution.

How did I occupy myself during this three hour ordeal? Well, I listened to two installments of The Marathon Show, the entertaining (if you are a Marathon Maniac or similarly inclined) podcast by Joe Taricani. That took about two hours. And after that, I watched MSNBC. I know, not my usual Bravo  gay realtors or house flippers.

I feel good enough that I could have run today but I drove over to the Clermont Cty. fairgrounds to try to rope off our set up area (only to discover that it had already been taken care of, don't get me started...) and that's 40 minutes each way, and then since I was out anyway I went shopping for some new dog show clothes on sale, and also found some possible shoes for the wedding.


No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner