Friday, August 24, 2012

Week 6, Day 5

Today the schedule called for another easy run. I'm still a little sore from yesterday's mishap, but since I am planning to race tomorrow I figured I'd better get out there and see how I felt.

I decided to go for a real slow one on my trail route, since tomorrow is a trail race. Wore the GPS watch, and finally figured out how to get it to sync with the shoe pod as well. The idea is that if you lose the GPS signal, the shoe pod fills in the gaps.

The dogs and I slept in until 7 am this morning. I decided to separate their walks because my arms are a little too sore to handle all three of them together. Plus by the time we got out it was lizard time. I walked Eddy & Maggie around the Observatory route, then took Zen around the park.

So it was around 10:45 or later by the time I hit the trails. It was nice and cool in there. The trails were very dry and dusty, which isn't the best for traction, but I managed. It was a good test to see if I am really injured, and also if my bandage will stay on my arm. Seems like I didn't do any real biomechanical damage to myself yesterday. My right hip is a little sore where I bruised it, but it doesn't affect the running. And the bandage stayed on my arm. So it's good.

The bad news, and not entirely unexpected, is that my trail run which I had been logging as 3.6 or so (based on the shoe pod) is not quite three miles according to the GPS. I figured it was about three, really, so this is not a big surprise. I have to find a way to make it just a tiny bit longer so it can be over three miles.

So, per the GPS, it was 2.94 miles in 47:12 or 16:02 pace. A little slower than usual on the trails but that was deliberate.

Tomorrow is the Powder Keg trail run up in Kings Mills. Two years ago I ran it in 37 something and won the age group. Last year Cyndi K. ran it in 33 something (I wasn't there) and she won the age group. So, my goal this year is try to get under 33 and beat Cyndi K. is she is there. I did not stick around for the awards last time but I will this time if I beat Cyndi or if I am otherwise suspecting that I might have won, since they did not mail the awards after.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner