Sunday, December 06, 2009

Catching up

I am going to try again to post regularly. I am running regularly, I should write regularly.

So....first thing is, I have begun a running streak. This will enable me to become a member of the US Running Streak Association: http://www.runeveryday.com/ . Kind of a silly thing but what the heck? You only have to run one continuous mile per day to count it towards a streak. No reason I can't do that. And they let you do it on a treadmill. So why not do that? Even on the days I'm not planning to run, no reason I can't climb on the treadmill and do a mile. I don't even have to dress for that.

So I started the streak thing last Monday, and I've run every day since, and actually only Friday was a 1 mile day.

Second thing was I did the Born to Run race again in NJ the day after Thanksgiving. This year got my sister to do it. She resisted more and more the closer we got to the race, and even during the race tried to get me to leave her but I stuck with her because I didn't care how slow we went. She is always looking for a reason to quit. But we finished. I did not think our time was that bad for a jog/walk, but at that race it did put us pretty far back in the pack. 657 finishers and we were 643 and 644, so only a handful of people behind us. Funny, my sister cared more about that than I did. Well, if you want to do better, you have to train!

And third thing is, speaking of training, I decided I ought to get out there for a 5k, so I signed up for the Jingle Bell 5k for Arthritis on Saturday. Decided to bring Eddy along to run with me since he has turned into quite the running partner. And I knew that this race was okay to do with dogs because I walked it with Logan a few years ago. I would have left him home if we had snow though because I didn't want him to have to run through the salt on the roads. Fortunately, although it was cold we did not have precipitation.

Earlier in the week, I actually did some 1/2 mile repeats to see what kind of pace I could stand. I usually do them (Yasso 800s) for fast marathon training but I have found in the past they seemed to approximate my 5k pace also. So I got on the mill and did a few at 6.7 mph, which is just under a 9:00 pace. And that felt okay, not too challenging, so I figured I should be good for at least a sub-28:00 5k. I really hoped that I wasn't going over 28 minutes because I don't know if I've ever raced a 5k that slow in my life. I know I'm getting decrepit but I want to hold that off as long as I can.

Eddy was great at the race, a perfect gentleman. I kept him on a very short leash, and we were able to run in the thick of the pack without getting in anyone's way. He did not once try to pull away to pee on anything, and we took care of the pooping before the race started. Of course, there really isn't any nice grassy area to poop along that course anyway so it was especially important to take care of it ahead of time. We got lots of compliments on how handsome and well-behaved he was.

We had a good race, me and Ed. 8:55, 8:45, 8:27 and 52 seconds for the last bit, for a finish time of 26:59. This put me 7th of 43 in the age group, not enough for a placement (they only went 5 deep), but I was pretty pleased anyway. And Eddy was the first dog. Not that there is any kind of prize for that but it was fun anyway. As we came around the last bend, people started cheering for him and yelling "first dog" the way they do for the first man or woman. I am proud of my Ed and looking forward to many more races with him.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner