Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Week 3, Day 3

It's long run day. Woo! Workout is 12-14 miles at 9:41 to 10:57 pace.

Tommy is home this week and agrees to walk the dogs so I can run outside in the morning before it gets too hot. I'm up at 6:30 am to make coffee. It takes me until after 7:30 get out the door, by the time I've had a cup of coffee. covered myself in vasoline and sunscreen and used the bathroom four times.

I wear my cute little pink running skirt and the technical top from last year's Kilgour 5k. I have my new Camelbak fanny pack with the big water bottle filled with ice water, and a package of GU Chomps (peach tea flavor) and a Tri-Berry GU.

For my route, I do my traditional neighborhood ten-miler ("3 Loops" is what I call it) with another little bit tacked on the end. Loop 1 is under 5 miles, Loop 2 is a little over 3 miles and Loop 3 is a little under 2 miles. And then the last bit is like 2.5 miles.

Saw Alison Delgado on her way back home in my first half-mile. In her Earth Drummer's singlet, she's hard to miss. There aren't any other people in this neighborhood that run that fast, or at least not any other women.

Lots of people out running this morning. It's a little nicer weather than we've had recently. I don't think I could have done this run outside last week or the week before.

That weird little foot pain from yesterday, I noticed it when I was home and also walking the dogs last night. Had it a little in the beginning of the run but it went away pretty quick. Knee felt okay the whole way.

I felt really good after the first mile. Amazing the difference a cup of coffee makes! Had that happy to be out running feeling. Had a half-package of Chomps at 3 miles. Finished the first loop in 51:01. Stopped in to the UDF to buy a bottle of water. Ordinarily I would just refill at the fountain in Graeter's, which is about a mile away, but I was worried it might not be open yet. Had some confusion about what to buy. Every size bottle they sell (including the gallon jug) is the same price (2 for $2, or 1 for $1.49). I end up with a 32 oz. bottle, which I pour into my water bottle, drink some, and then carry the partially emptied bottle in my hand for another 2 miles. This was dumb. What I should have done was buy the two 16 oz. bottles. Then I would have had a smaller bottle to carry. Next time that's what I'll do.

Have the rest of the Chomps at mile 6. Second loop takes 39:12. Third loop is 17:49. Had the Tri-Berry GU at mile 9. Started to get a little hot towards the end and that last mile was rough but at least it was in the shade. Last segment was 26:39.

So, it was 12.55 miles in 2:14:31, or a 10:43 average pace, which is right in the range. I did not count the time I spent in the UDF and any time I was stopped at a traffic light. But still, it was better than I would have done on the treadmill, where I would have done a really slow first mile and the cooldown at the end.

Iced my knee after even though it didn't really bother me during the run. Better safe than sorry. Really I should probably have taken an ice bath. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner