Monday, August 27, 2012

Week 7, Day 1

I need to write about the race I did Saturday but first here's just today's report. The schedule called for a 45-60 minute easy run---instead of the speed workout I usually have to do on Mondays.

Easy pace is now supposed to be 9:30 - 10:26. I did not get out for this run until after 11 am. I spent the morning running Eddy back and forth to the vet to get a lump removed from his face. The dogs did not get a proper walk, but I did get out for my run! Unfortunately, it was warm and quite muggy by the time I started.

I did my Madison route, which I used to consider over 5 miles (5.21 or so, in fact) but which, per the damn new GPS, is just 4.76. Really? Is it possible that the GPS is wrong?

I know I said I was going to stop paying so much attention to it but I found myself looking at it anyway. And stressing out because I knew I was not hitting the pace. After the first mile, I found myself consciously picking it up to try to get myself down below 10:30 average pace.

Did not quite work. Final time was 50:36 or 10:40 average pace. And I was breathing hard. It was really more like a tempo run than an easy run.

I am trying to console myself with the fact that 50:36 is a lot quicker than I usually cover that route.

I don't know what the right answer is. Or really, I do. I should take it easy. Easy should feel easy. I should not worry that my pace is too slow on an easy day.

My back/shoulder is still really hurting, presumably from the fall. Not sure if I need to do something about it like go to the chiropractor.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner