Friday, August 10, 2012

Week 4, Day 5

Today it was supposed to be an "easy run" for 45-60 minutes at 9:39 to 10:33 pace. I ran 5.06 miles in 52:49 or 10:26 pace, but it did not feel as easy as I had expected considering I took yesterday off and felt so great yesterday.

In retrospect, I'm a little congested and didn't sleep well last night.  I said hello to the neighbors last evening and Jackie commented that it sounded like I had a cold, and I really think it is just allergies but Jackie is a doctor so this got in my head and is still bothering me. Am I getting a cold? Oh no!

So, there's that.

It's a relatively cool day, mostly overcast (although of course the sun came out for my run) and still only 71 degrees right now at 12:30 pm. It was about 11:15 when I went out, kind of late, but it was so cool.

I ran around the park and the Kilgour race route, then finished up by running down Herschel View and out to Pape-Erie and around the corner to the trail.

It's not that it was sooooo bad. There were a lot of moments of pleasure. Just not as "fun" and "easy" as last week.

I iced both my left knee and my left achilles afterwards. They didn't bother me during the run, but the knee felt tight when I got home and when I sat down to ice the knee, I realized the achilles felt a bit tender, so I got out another ice bag. Had a glass of chocolate milk.

Another little niggling problem is that my weight is steadily keeping up. I need to get a handle on that and get it back down where it needs to be. I'm sure my knees would appreciate it, and the extra weight is not going to help my performance.

Tomorrow is another easy run day for 40-50 minutes. I wanted to get 5 miles in today. I'll probably shoot for around four tomorrow, and three on Sunday if I run then.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner