Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Week 5, Day 3

It's long run day. Supposed to do 14-16 miles at long run pace of 9:41 to 10:57.

It's actually a pretty nice day again, and I could have done this outside, even after walking the dogs this morning. But it's very sunny and I was worried it would get too hot. I had thought about going over to Lunken for three laps of the bike trail, which would come out a little over 15 miles, but there's no shade over there.

So I decided to do it on the dreadmill. It wasn't fun, but I got it done. Warmed up to 3.5 mph, then continued at 5.8 mph (10:20 pace) with my usual wimpy 1 minute walk breaks every half-mile at 3.5. So...most of the running was at 10:20 pace, and that is faster than I usually go on the treadmill. I'm trying to do it at a slightly faster pace each time I get on there.

When I hit 14 miles, I did the 5 minute treadmill cooldown. So, in the end, I covered 14.31 miles in 2:44. Yes, that averages out slower than the pace I'm supposed to do the long runs at, and I might have gone faster outside, but still, most of the running was well within the range prescribed.

Kept myself amused during the run by watching Million Dollar Listing. Thought about naming my next dogs Madison and Josh. Thought that reality show stars would be a good litter theme.

Did not have any particular aches or pains, but iced the knee afterwards anyway. Am feeling really tired right now and would love a nap, but otherwise all is good.

Sleepwise, last night I got about 7 hours, but I lay in bed an extra 45 minutes this morning petting Maggie because we had the time. Felt pretty rested. It really makes a difference when you can wake up naturally versus by the alarm clock.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner