Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Week 7, Day 2

The schedule says 30-45 minute easy run or OFF. I got up early and went for the run. Except it was more like a "recovery" run because yesterday was more like a "tempo" run than the "easy" run it was supposed to be. I was scared that I would fall down again like last Thursday but I got through it unscathed.

I was up at 6 am but had to make coffee for Tommy before heading out, plus let the dogs out to pee and give Zen her pill. So it was 6:30 almost before I started.

Am still having a lot of pain on my right side under my armpit, and in the back outside my shoulder blade. Hurts when I sneeze, cough or blow my nose. Sort of like the way it feels when you have bronchitis and pull the tendons that attach your lungs to your chest wall. Maybe I pulled something when I fell. I keep expecting to feel better but instead each day since the fall I am feeling worse. I guess I should call the chiro. But I haven't. Yet.

So, the pace was very slow. I tried not to look at the damn GPS watch. First mile was very slow, then got a little faster. Saw some of the morning regulars. Lots of people wearing orange today, for some reason, myself included. I know orange is supposed to be the new black right now but this was a little odd. Was wondering if it was some special Bengal-support holiday or something. I just put the orange shirt on because that is what came up in the stack.

Finished the 3.12 Shady Lane route in 37:27, or 12 minute pace according to the GPS! Damn GPS. Used to think of this as almost 3.5 miles, which would have been more like sub-11 pace, or just right for a recovery run.

Was I staring at the sidewalk the whole time, worrying that it would jump up and bite me? Yes.

So, yeah, I'm not as speedy as I am supposed to be. But if we forget what the GPS is telling us, we realize that I am not really any slower than I ever was.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner