Monday, August 13, 2012

Week 5, Day 1

Today's schedule called for another "Fartlek Workout"--- 10 to 20 minute warm up, followed by 3 to 4 times 5 minutes at "half-marathon effort" (whatever that is supposed to mean) with 1 minute recovery jogs, followed by a 10 to 20 cool down.

It was another beautiful day, so I could run outside after I got back from walking the dogs around the park. I followed the same route as last Monday, where I run down Erie Ave., make a little loop of Broadview, go back out to Erie and turn right on Murray Ave, do a little out and back on the bike path, and then run back up the hill to home.

It worked out so I could do all the intervals on the bike path. I only did three. If you tell me 3-4, most of the time I'm going to pick 3, because I am just a lazybones.

Pace-wise, I just tried to imagine that I was at State to State and trying to run a decent half-marathon. According to the McMillan Pace Calculator, my current half-marathon pace is supposed to be 9:17, but last year I ran S2S faster than that. So...

How do you do this? Well, I start the interval and just say, okay, imagine you have 13.1 miles ahead of rolling hills. How fast can you go? And that seemed to work. The Murray Ave. bike trail also has a similar hill profile to the half-marathon I was imagining in my head.

Time was 51:37 for 5.14 miles. Achilles felt fine. Iced the knee afterwards even though it felt okay during the run, because it felt a little tight when I stopped.

Sleep-wise, I went to bed around 11 pm and got up a little before 6, so that was 7 hours. Felt like enough. Seems like seven is what I need.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner