Wednesday, July 11, 2012

French Park Creek Crossings

This is about the race I ran on June 10, another in the trail series. It's July now and so I am relying on memory and a couple of notes in my training log.

I think this is my favorite of the trail races. It's those creeks. I really love splashing through them late in the race when I'm hot and tired. I laugh at the people who try to go around them or stay up on the rocks. I just splash right through the middle. It's fun.

So, it was hot. I think. And we hadn't had much rain so the creeks were not as deep as usual. And I wasn't feeling so great that morning, and I felt semi-bad the whole way.

I made a stupid move mid-race where I jumped off a log onto a bridge, and I misjudged the distance and landed funny on the gimpy left knee and it went all wobbly and I almost fell. That was the point where Cyndi K., of course, was right behind me, so she passed me and I did not manage to catch her after that.

I lost heart for a few minutes and was even walking, but then I recovered and picked it up, and ended up finishing not too far behind Cyndi and still faster than last year by almost a minute. Time was 35:14. I was 15 of 56 women (right behind Cyndi, she only beat me by 20 seconds) and 82 of 147 runners.My age-graded time was faster than Cyndi's because I am one year older. I am still left wondering how much better I would have done if I had not almost fallen.

When I got home I iced my knee and had some Aleve. I was worried about it for a few days but it's okay. I think I just stressed or stretched some tendons in the back of my knee. I didn't have any swelling, but the knee didn't feel very stable for a few weeks after this race.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner