Monday, July 16, 2012

McMillan Training Program---Week 1, Day 1

Today I started following the training program. Going to try to blog about it as I go along. This week is going to be insane and I hardly have time to run let alone write about it but here goes.

Today's workout is a "50-60 minute Pace Booster run." This means in the middle of the run I am supposed to do 15-20 minutes at a "Steady State" pace. SS pace, I estimate according to the McMillan Pace Calculator, is about 9:50 - 10:07 pace.

Here's what I actually did: It's hot and extremely humid today. So I decided to run on the treadmill after I got home from walking the dogs. It was about 10 am when I got down to it. I did my long, slow warmup for 20 minutes. When I do this, I start at the lowest speed the treadmill goes and gradually increase it up to 5 mph/12 min pace, taking a 1 minute walk break every half mile at 3.5 mph. I know, that is ridiculously slow. But it's what I do.

At 20 minutes, I increased the speed to 6 mph/10 min pace, intending to continue for a solid 15 minutes before stopping. However, a couple of minutes into it, I dropped the cap to my water bottle and it skittered off the back of the treadmill and bounced off Ed, who picked it up. So I had to stop and hop off and get it away from him. This unfortunately made the treadmill freak out, causing it to stop and give me an error code.

So after I got the cap back from Ed, I got back on and just started the 15 minute pace segment over. So in the end I did go more like 17 minutes at 10 min pace, but there was that little early interruption. I had a drink of water every half-mile, trying not to spill it all over the place. The 15 minutes went pretty fast. I was watching Food Network.

After the 15 minutes, I was going to go another 15 min, so I walked at 3.5 mph for a minute, then returned to 5 mph/12 min pace for 14 minutes (with another 1 min walk break thrown in there at the half mile mark) and then bumped it up to 6 mph/10 min pace for the last minute. So that was 15 min at Steady State pace and another 15 easy.

Finally I did the 5 min treadmill program cooldown. I'm a little confused on exactly how far I went because of losing the date after the error code but I guess it was about 4 miles in 57 minutes or so.

After the run, I had a Picky Bar and a glass of skim milk. According to the McMillan RUNRR (Runner's Ultimate Nutritional Recovery Routine), I need to take in another 87 grams of carbohydrate and 16 grams of protein, which I'm thinking will happen with lunch.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner