Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Week 1, Day 3

Today is supposed to be the long run, and with the newly recalculated paces, it's supposed to be at 9:41 to 10:57 pace. That's 1:45 to 2:00 of running at that pace.

But I had to run on the treadmill, because when it is 80 degrees and high humidity at 6 am already, that's what you do. I did get up early, but needed to have coffee, feed the dogs, and then walk Maggie for 40 minutes (just couldn't deal with the other two plus they had already doen their business) before I started. So there you go, It's after 9 am by the time I start.

And now it is 11:51, and I'm sitting in the ktichen struggling to get the carb/protein balance right---surprisingly, the protein is easy to get but the carb is hard to get done without an insane amount of food. Or I'm doing it wrong. I'm having a Lean Cuisine Salmon with Basil, a Wasa bread, a big glass of milk with Quik. That gives me the 32 grams of protein that I'm supposed to have, but only about 86 grams of carb and it should be more like 127. Like what, 40 grams short? I'd need to eat almost another 4 Wasas to get that right and that's just ridiculous. So this is just going to have to do it. Maybe I am going to have to buy some of that Slim Fast stuff that Greg McMillan recommends.

Oh, so back to the workout. On the TM, I did my gradual warmup until I got to 3.5 mph, then I went to 5.6, which is 10:42 pace. I decided to do most of the run at a pace that was within the target, and also something I could handle without having to hold on to the rails. But because I am a lazy ass and the treadmill is so hard for me, I took a 1 minute walk break at 3.5 pace every half-mile. Had some GU Chomps at 3 miles and 6 miles, which was the only time I hopped off.

When I got up to 1:45, I hit the cooldown button. In the end, the mileage was 9.12. That's a bunch less that I expect I am supposed to do, but oh well.

I'm thinking that maybe each week I will increase the base pace, so next week I'll try 5.7. Maybe I'll shorten the walk breaks. Maybe I'll increase the time. In the third week the long run is supposed to go up to 12-14 miles, so if I could get the next one over 10 next week that would be good.

I feel good about how I am sticking with the program but bad about how I am not getting anything else done. It's 12:09 now. Ridiculous.

No comments:

Reflections of a slow, fat marathoner